Wednesday, October 6, 2010
This is a video of my latest teaching experience. There are a few things that I noticed that I could've improved on and somethings that I did do a good job on. It's hard to fit everything into a lesson when there is only 4 minutes to teach. I had forgotten to give an introduction, signal for attention and a strong hook. I did mention "hot hands" to help the students relate to the frisbee catch. I demonstrated how the catch should look stationary going over the cues so the students could see how the cues matched up with the actual catch. I did not do an actual moving demonstration. I should've picked a student to throw me the frisbee so I could show the class how to implement the catch correctly. I also should've showed common errors that most students make when catching the frisbee. After showing common errors I should've explained how to fix these errors and help students understand the proper way to catch. At the end of the lesson I went over the cues to make sure the students were paying attention and left knowing how to catch a frisbee. There are a few things I needed to change in my lesson, with more time I think I could've made my lesson much better. But in the given amount of time I did a decent job of showing the students the frisbee throw as well as letting them practice and gave them a competition to peak their interest. Here is my time coding sheet which shows how I split my time up while teaching. I didn't have any recorded waiting or management time. I spent most of class having students engaging in activity.